Thursday, December 17, 2009

Watch the skies for the mystical machine gunfire

Albums of the moment
Count Five - Psychotic Reaction
Cousteau self-titled
Estelle - Shine
Kula Shaker - K
Manic street preachers - Journal for plague lovers
Nairobi meets Mad Professor - Wu Wei
Patrick Wolf - Wind in the wires
Pescado Rabioso - Artaud & Desatormentandonos
Red House Painters - I

// So...the lead singer of Kula Shaker’s mom is Hayley Mills. I grew up watching her in movies like “The parent trap” & “Pollyanna”. As an adult she also played Miss Bliss on “Saved By The Bell”, a TV show I also watched as a kid. I heard of this band through my friend Pool. They have some lyrics in Sanskrit & with a very Hindi feel which is cool, I’ve been listening to them to get “in the mood”. Bc I’m going to be visiting an ashram for a spiritual retreat soon. My favourite badjhans (sacred chants) are Radhe, radhe, govinda radhe & Ganesha sharanam. But there isn’t a Kula Shaker lyric with the latter two (as far as I’ve discovered), whereas they have got songs called “Govinda” & “Radhe radhe”. BUT BUT BUT my very fav song by this band is “Mystical Machine Gun”. & I never noticed until just now that I read the lyrics, but they say "Om nama shivaya" @ the end, which is a mantra...yknow, like "Jai guru deva" which Lennon sings in "Across the Universe".



No comments:

Post a Comment