Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Culture sluts: Andy Warhol & the MSP (follow-up)

Kelley provided some interesting info in response 2 my entry on sleepflowers (Richey Manics comm on LJ) about Andy Warhol & the MSP, so I'm posting it here.

"I think quite a bit of Richey's philosophies on life came from Warhol, even if it's not as obvious as his other influences (unless you know something about Warhol).

His quote about McDonald's being the most beautiful thing in various places all over the world is directly lifted from Warhol. So is the line "Madonna drinks Coke and so you can too."

The interview where Richey and Nicky are playing golf and Richey talks about how the crucifix is more like a brand (or wanting it to be a brand, I forget right now) also plays off some of Warhol's ideas. Warhol once said, "I'm afraid that if you look at a thing long enough, it loses all its meaning." (paraphrased)

Richey also wore the Warhol Marilyn print t-shirt that a fan apparently made for him (here - and also this, although I think that was his, I don't know).

I read this book a few years ago, and quite a bit of it seemed to match up right next to Richey's philosophies on life. I can't recall anything right now except for the parts about love, where Warhol said that the best relationships were those that never happened between two people who never met; ie, fantasy is much better than reality.

(haha, I had somehow missed the bit about sex you posted here already, so now I feel dumb for repeating that, although I was talking more about relationships than sex--but Warhol's take on both was pretty much the same)

I have the nagging feeling that I'm forgetting something here, and I probably am, but whatever.

On a last note, Edie and Richey have been compared a few times before. I think the last person to do it was mooglefan, although she focused more on their physical appearance. They had quite a bit in common via their issues and personalities as well though.

No comments:

Post a Comment