so 0 black artists on MTV.
So yeah. Maybe I wanted 2 be cool, older, different or something. I watched MTV all the time during 1995. None of my classmates did, as far as I can recall. & I’ve always had good memory so my mind registered many songs & artists. I can name things that were on rotation then. “Tomorrow”, by Silverchair, whose lead singer I totally fancied : ) & he was only sixteen! The “Runaway train” (Soul Asylum) boy was cute as well. “Seether” by Veruca Salt. “Everything gel” by Collective Soul. “When I come around”, Green day. “White lines” by Duran Duran. Azul Violeta. Los Tres. Los Rodriguez. Café Tacuba. Aterciopelados. Van Halen. BON JOVI (Cali & I had a crush on him, how did we find out?) “High & dry” by Radiohead. “Stupid girl” by Garbage, “Army of me”, Bjork. Dione Faris. Dave Matthews Band. Hootie & the Blowfish. Natalie Merchant. I could go on : ) Ruth Infarinato was a VJ then. & this song by Freak Power was also playing @ the time. I would watch The Top 20 Countdown every Friday night & 4 a while adopted the habit of writing down the songs & their positions. I recall my brother once asking me “What are you doing that 4?” & I was like “Dunno”.
In 1996 I stopped watching MTV completely & got in2 children’s TV shows such as Chiquititas & then some of the music that was called commercial bubblegum pop such as the Spice Girls & Hanson. & I only listened 2 that 4 a several years. It was only when I started watching MTV again in 1999 & happened 2 hear the VJ announce that the Australian rock trio Silverchair had just released their 1st single in a really long time. I was like “NO WAY”. I am dead srs when I say that a few days earlier I had been wondering what had become of the Australian kids in the video w/ the the blonde long-haired cutie & the pig boy.

Subsequently the “Anthem for the year 2000” video was aremiered. I became a Silverchair fan. They were my gateway 2 everything else, I think. & that’s how I got in2 good music. Or perhaps just picked up where I had left off a few years earlier.
No comments:
Post a Comment