Sunday, October 17, 2010

Stuff I've been listening 2: Jamaica, Whitey, Friendly Fires & more

Some stuff I've been listening/ re-listening to as of late.

- Jamaica: No problem. These dudes are from Ed Banger, the same label as Justice & Uffie (I think Uffie too) so needless 2 say they are AWESOME.
- Friendly fires self-titled. I'd heard their name but never their music. I think it kinda annoyed me they have the same name as Sean Lennon's (last?) solo album. I've heard several bands that get their names from songs or albums such as Hellogoodbye, Pretty girls make graves (by The Beatles & The Smiths, respectively). BUT I LIKE THESE GUYS THEY'RE GOOD
- Whitey: Canned laughter. Recommended by Esteban, whose recommendations I generally pay the utmost attention to. He was really excited about it so I didn't think twice about listening & it was worth it.
- Sherman y Los Crocantes: El amor me cago la tarde. Their name is spraypainted near my house, I think I have the frontman on Facebook & I just thought the LP title was too great. Love ruined my afternoon.
- Pavement: Quarantine The Past. A Greatest Hits. Although they're coming to play here & I can't afford to go see them.
- Metric: Live it out, Old world underground where are you now. I listened during my 1st years of Uni while crushing on this guy & my MSN name was "combat baby" after one of the tracks. Once he was like "What's up combat baby?" & I was like : D
- Ratatat self-titled. Also late on this. It's just that I'd only heard "Seventeen years" & it did nothing for me.
- Charlotte Gainsbourg: IRM. Talked 2 this dude @ Crobar once about music. We talked a lot, he really liked Devendra Banhart. Anyways he recommended some things but this & Hank Williams are all I remember. I have not checked that out yet BTW.



Songs of these times

- "Little Guernica", Manic Street Preachers I don't know why but I can't stop listening to it. Manics are like my favorite band so it's kind of hard to not be biased about them. I don't know if it's a good song or not. But I recently discovered it (they have so much stuff, yknow) & dug.
- "What kind of girl are you?", APB I hadn't even heard of this band but Maggie sent me this song & on the first listen I was like OMG OMG OMG LIKE LIKE LIKE. It's sewwww 80s.
- "Cinnamon girl", Dunkelbunt A couple of weeks ago Maggie & I went to hear Richie Hell spinning & he played it so we got 2 dance 2 it, WIN. But I 1st learnt of it through Olivier, a cool French dude I met in Berlin. GOOD TIMES.
- "In a hole", The Jesus & Mary Chain I'm enjoying this band
- "Bump", Fun lovin criminals Recommended by Nacho, another friend who likes good music. I'd only heard their "Barry White" song...I liked this one better although I have gotten a bit tired of it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment