Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Summer days driftin’ away to uh-oh! Those summer nights

3AM, sleepless, the middle of the night, the middle of the summer. This season’s been both “Gimme endless summer” (From some song by Robbie Williams, LOL, but the phrase always stuck in my head. I like Robbie BTW) & “I lost my faith in the summertime” (“The importance of being idle”, Oasis).
It’s been “Summertime & the living is easy” (classic number by George Gershwin), at other times a LIVING hell. For one, it’s literally that way outside. Like “Summer’s cauldron”, by XTC.

Stepping onto the street, the heat hits you immediately, all over, smothering you. We’ve had record high temperatures. Many days I don’t want to go outside at all. I’d prefer to stay in my room with the AC on full blast, sipping drinks brimming with ice cubes. The only downside to living in my own little Siberia is that my cat won’t set foot into my room. She prefers the heat, I guess.

“The air conditioned nightmare”. I’ve always liked that title. It’s a song by Mr Bungle. Don’t get me wrong, I do leave my room & the house. There have only been a couple of Sundays when I haven’t. I just don’t get along with extreme temperatures. Although I prefer summer over winter. I just feel something in the air. Light-hearted, free-spirited, more cheerful, youthful. When it’s not an oven outside, of course. In that case everyone’s grouchy. But otherwise you wander around & there are other people taking walks, kids sitting on front stoops, tables outside cafés completely crowded. I like it. When it’s warm out I love to walk around at night with my iPod. To walk home from places, even if it’s far.

- “Violence of summer”, Duran Duran
- “Summer swim”, George Clinton
- “Die in the summertime”, Manic Street Preachers

- "Celebrate summer", T-Rex
- “Summertime blues”, Eddie Cochran

- I miss the sweet boys in the summer of their youth - "Petals", Hole

- Oh yeah she was taking me over, oh yeah it was the start of the summer - “Oh yeah”, Ash -- what a nice feeling, that start of the summer sensation

A song I immediately link with the season is “Summer lovin” from Grease, a favorite film of mine growing up. I still count it among my favs, actually. At one point in high school I watched it every night, or had it playing in the background. & I wanted my life to be like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment