Wednesday, January 19, 2011

When "High school musical" songs are full of truth

It was late 2006 when one Thursday night @ a place called KiMiA (which doesn't exist anymore), someone told me I looked like the girl from High School Musical. I had no idea who she was talking about although the name HSM sounded familiar. I didn't know whether it was an animated series, TV show, movie, what. But of course I looked into it. Growing up, I watched a lot of musicals. We have a collection of tapes. The Sound of Music, Singin in the Rain (I can't decide which one of those two is my #1 favorite...maybe Singin), South Pacific, 7 brides for 7 brothers (LOL), Oklahoma. Not to mention all the Disney ones. They don't really make musicals very often anymore, do they? I recall Woody Allen's "Everyone says I love you", which left me with an overwhelming desire to live in NYC...

Anyways I think a couple of years went by before I actually saw HSM. I liked. I tend to enjoy & relate to films/series/etc about high school kids bc I generally feel like I'm still one of them. In many ways, I haven't changed one bit.

There's this one song from the first film that I really like, "Stick to the status quo". It speaks an obvious but irrefutable truth that surely most ppl have had one-on-one experience with --> if you are or do something different, you will be discriminated. Ok, maybe it's not TOTALLY irrefutable...as time progresses, the world generally becomes more open minded, right? Although this varies greatly according to specific geographic location, cultural group, etc. On another hand @ some point it also became cool to be uncool. An infinite number of artists/ actors/ musicians claim to have never fit in @ school. Now some are proud to be outcasts, to have no friends, to "hate everybody"...etc. Dare to be different, I guess.

Blah blah, this topic has been done to death. I just wanted to say I enjoy the song, along with "Getcha head in the game". They are catchy, fun & upbeat. Plus there is stuff I can totally relate to...as I'm sure you can to, if you've ever messed with the status quo ; )

♫ No, no, no
Stick to the stuff you know
If you wanna be cool
Follow one simple rule
Don't mess with the flow, no no
Stick to the status quo...

(...) No, no, no
Stick to the stuff you know

It is better by far
To keep things as they are
Don't mess with the flow, no no
Stick to the status quo...♫



PS: ♫ You can bet
There's nothin' but net
When I am in a zone and on a roll
But I've got a confession
My own secret obsession
It's making me lose control
... ♫
TOTALLY ;_; FML.

No comments:

Post a Comment