Saturday, December 19, 2009

Growing up



There's nothing nice in my head
The adult world took it all away
I wake up with same spit in my mouth
I cannot tell if it is real or not

I try and walk in a straight line
An imitation of dignity
From despair to where
From despair to where

- Manic Street Preachers

Bleak albeit relatable (to me). This song is so upbeat though. You can totally dance/jump around to it, seriously. I like when there’s that contradiction between lyrics & music. It happens a lot with Belle & Sebastian, no? They’re singing about sad things but it sounds so cheerful & pretty that you’d never guess.

In my last year of high school we were asked to bring in a song that we felt described us. I took “Crecer” by Attaque 77, an argentine punk band. The song is all about not wanting to grow up. In the video the band’s in a sort of candyland setting. I completely identify with The Little Prince & Peter Pan.

Grown-ups never understand anything by themselves & it is exhausting for children to have to provide explanations over & over again”, The Little Prince. That one’s written on my wall.

If it’s got to do with being an adult, chances are I don’t like it/don’t know how to do it/am not interested. I had a really happy childhood. Here’s a list of songs that have to do with childhood/growing up…I can’t think of many right now but will add to it. Feel free to contribute. Jonathan Richman has got to have @ least one.

Garbage - When I grow up
Fiona Apple - The child is gone
Manic Street Preachers – This is yesterday
Turf – Esa Luz
Sonic youth - Little trouble girl
David Bowie - Growin' up
La Roux – Growing pains
Herbie Hancock - Goodbye To Childhood, Speak like a child

"Most people look back on their childhoods with more fondness than their early 20s or their teenage years, which are pretty horrendous. As a child, you put your head on your pillow & fall asleep with no worries. From being a teenager onwards, it's pretty rare that you don't end up staying awake half the night thinking about bullshit", Richey Edwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment