Monday, January 17, 2011

"Hit to death in the future head", The Flaming Lips

or Songs that describe my Akashic Record part 2, continued from this entry.

Walking down the street this afternoon, it hit me: “Ando meio desligado” by Os Mutantes. TOTALLY, COMPLETELY, 100%. It's an epic song by one of the most important bands to ever come out of Brazil, also an emblem of the Tropicalia movement. There is a version in English called “I feel a little spaced out”, but desligado does NOT translate to “spaced out” (1)! It means more like cut off, separated, disconnected, dissociated, disjoined. & THAT is what’s going on with me. It’s kinda like when in “Fell in love with a girl”, Jack White sings “These two sides of my brain need to have a meeting”. THAT X 100. Except it's my spirit that needs to have a meeting with the rest of me. Anyways, this song by Os Mutantes is relevant on both a musical & lyrical level. It has an eerie windiness & emptiness to it, just like the song by Pescado Rabioso I mentioned last time.

Furthermore...

- "Goldfinger" by Ash. Yet another song that was SUPER IMPORTANT IN MY LIFE throughout high school. The parts that go The world seemed so alive plus I lie back & drift away (3'12) always gave me THAT KIND OF BURNING INSIDE, you know. Especially the second one. This may have been my 1st experience of That faraway feeling ... a sensation which makes a lot more sense now. Anyways, this song is totally for rainy & lonely nights.

- “Destiny street”, Richard Hell & The Voidoids - Yet another that has been extremely significant to me. If my life had a soundtrack, this would have to be included. I'll expand upon it another time, but basically it's about time tripping, ie: ♫ Pretending we could hide inside the past & future to avoid our present self ♫

- “Fuera del mundo”, Turf – It basically says "Help me get out of this world", LOL. Turf was also huge to me in high school.

- “(I can’t get no) satisfaction”, The Rolling Stones - All I have to say about this is FML

- “Subterranean homesick alien”, Radiohead - ♫ Of all these weird creatures who lock up their spirits drill holes in themselves & live for their secrets ♫



- “A pain that I’m used to”, Depeche Mode - I HATE TO ADMIT THIS ONE HAHA : (
- “Marie floating over the backyard”, Eels - THIS ONE EVEN HAS MY NAME IN IT
- “Fear of the future”, Shitdisco - self explanatory. But then again, everyone is afraid of the future, right?

Speaking of generalities, something else that I relate to Akashic Records is this

& out again I curve & flow
To join the brimming river,
For men may come & men may go,
But I go on forever

– "The Brook", Alfred Tennyson (1809-1892)

Which applies to everyone. At least that's what I belive...

(1) Although the lyrics in English say "I can hardly see my feet on the ground" & well, this is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment