Thursday, March 25, 2010

Are you taking over or are you taking orders? (La casa tomada, In The Jungle, Rivoteen dreams, etc)



  • "House Taken Over" (Casa tomada) is a 1944 short story by Argentine writer Julio Cortázar. It was originally published in Los anales de Buenos Aires, a literary magazine edited by Jorge Luis Borges, but later added to his book Bestiario.

    It tells the story of an aging brother and sister living together in their ancestral home which is being "taken over" by unknown entities. It starts in a realist manner and it slowly introduces a scene in which natural laws are distorted. The mystery that revolves around what those entities can be interpreted in several ways, and this also makes the genre of the story vary (fantastic, psychological, etc.).

    Among the resources that are frequent in Cortázar's story, graphic signs (such as parenthesis) are used to reflect censorship.

    The writer based the house on one located in the city of Chivilcoy, which can still be found in the streets Suipacha and Necochea
    . Source

    - “Please leave”, “Leaving home”, & “Military strongmen”, Jebediah (When you're around, you just get me down, I'm better off without you)
    - “Get off of my cloud”, Rolling Stones
    - “Get gone”, Fiona Apple
    - “In every dreamhome a heartache”, Roxy Music (Unrelated, but I've always dug the line Inflatable doll, I blew up your body...but you blew my MIND & the way Bryan Ferry sings it)
    - “There’s no home for you here”, White Stripes
    - “At home he’s a tourist”, Gang of Four (Richeeeh liked this one)
    - "You Can't Move Into My House", Frenzal Rhomb (Get fucked you fucking fuckwit, you can't move into my house…they rly don’t beat around the bush, do they?)

    Richey, for one, saysss...


  • On Tuesday “In the Jungle” by The Vines came on my iPod when Shuffle was on. Loves it. I always forget about The Vines. Made me wanna read up on the band & what became of them after “Highly evolved”. Last I heard, Craig Nicholls had been hospitalized for…what was it? Asperger’s & Tourettes? Maybe. I don’t know much about the Vines apart from the fact that Craig liked McDonalds, getting high, & that his cheeks were possibly chubbier than mine : P

  • Last night I dreamt that RR was taking Rivotril (Clonazepam), the most popular legal drug in Argentina. I read someone on FB who had coined the term Rivoteen. I dig portmanteau words. Anyways I was really surprised he would admit this, since he’s so rock & roll. Or…something. I think NG was there @ the time. & a bunch of those ppl. In the dream there was also a lady chasing me trying 2 cut my hair (NO, BITCH!) & a special Satsang @ someone’s house, faaar far away (Belu, possibly?) But some ex classm8s of mine from Uni were there, such as Chufi, Angie, Lucia. So was Martin LBT. I was like “Hey Martin & Chufi, you probably know each other from Pacha, LOLZ”. I took a photo of the three girls. Some new YES+ teachers were there as well: Lu Peña, Facu, Mechi. & there was cake. I woke up like WHEREZ THA CAKE?! Typical.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment