Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Andy Warhol: $$$, success, fame, glamour



So I went 2 the Andy Warhol exhibition, “Mr. America”. OMG, I completely loved & found everything absolutely brilliant, fascinating, etc. I was familiar w/ the basics regarding him & his work, even studied it a bit @ Uni although I probably had forgotten, as I forgot most of what I’ve studied. But now I just wanna know more about this man of Epic Genius. I mean…he broke tons of age-old paradigms, for instance that artists don’t gain recognition until after they die. He was open about wanting $$$, success & fame. He set out to produce more works of art in a year than Picasso (was it Picasso?) had produced in a lifetime. He made over 500 films, managed a rock band, threw the best parties, was surrounded by the most beautiful ppl. Can you get any cooler?!

I recalled a couple of movies I saw several years ago
(1) Basquiat. One of Dana’s favorites. About Jean-Michel Basquiat, an artist pal of Warhol’s, who is played by none other than…DAVID BOWIE! Who has a song about the dude in question. I think Benicio del Toro is in this flick too, & he was skinny!

(2) I Shot Andy Warhol. Based on the true story of feminist Valerie Solanas, played by the same actress who was Lisa in the HBO series Six Feet Under.

Another figure that caught my attention was Edie Sedgwick. UM, GORGEOUS. Now I also wanna learn about her as I know practically nothing. But the Long Blondes mention her in one of their best songs, alongside other lovely ladies of celluloide...
I know all about fear & desire
I know all about lust et cetera
Edie Sedgwick, Anna Karina, Arlene Dahl
- “Lust in the movies”


There’s a movie about her w/ Sienna Miller, no? “Factory girl”. I should see it. I 1st saw Sienna in “Alfie” w/ Jude Law & thought she was the most beautiful girl I’d ever seen. But then I looked 4 photos online & none of them did her any justice. Jude also looks surreal there.

Lastly, Marta Minujin, an Argentine artist who was pals w/ Warhol, I guess. I also know zilch about her except that she’s kinda kooky & cokey, but I like the vibes she gives off & again have become intrigued. Voilà my afternoon @ the museum.



“Andy Warhol”, David Bowie
“Money, success, fame, glamour”, Felix da housecat

“Lust in the movies”, The Long Blondes

No comments:

Post a Comment